Barton Ave Clubhouse
Our club moved its clubhouse to the Barton Avenue side of the river in 1936. The formal dedication happened on August 21st with 12 hours of pomp and ceremony. It was the highlight of the summer season.
The new structure was designed according to then Commodore Elmer S. Horton to resemble a group of fishing shacks such as one would see along the Provincetown Waterfront. The cost of construction was $9,000.
Seven Rhode Island yacht clubs assisted Barrington in celebrating the opening of our new quarters. The highlight being the raising of colors on a 65 foot mast donated by the Herreshoff Company which had been used by an American Cup Defender. A regatta was planned off Flasher 1 at the entrance to the Warren River and boat owners dressed ship.
Some names of people actively involved were Commodore Horton, Vice Commodore Armory S. Skerry, and Rear Commodore William A. Mathewson (grandson of Alan C. Mathewson) who served on the building committee. Dr. George A. Bridges, Harry W. Berstrom, Franklin N. Crowell, Russell J. Goodnow and James Fine made up the Dedication Committee.