Club historians Jean and John MacIntyre researched and wrote many articles for the LINE. If you want more information on a particular topic, please contact Jean or John.
The Barrington Yacht Club was incorporated on March 25, 1908. Arthur L. Smith was the first elected Commodore. The Club must have been a success right from the start, as there were 218 members reported by August 1909. Unfortunately, most of those names were never recorded, but they all paid their $5 dollar dues.
The Club’s first function was held July 11, 1908 on the river in front of Commodore Smith’s home. Members were “at liberty to invite friends, including ladies. More than 500 people lined the shore and witnessed the “Parade of Sail”. Upwards of 100 boats of every description rode at anchor or sailed about.The first social event was a “Social and Ladies Night” held at the Town Hall on November 7, 1908, to aid the New Clubhouse Building Fund. Dancing included waltzes, two steps, a cotillion and Schottische.
A Clubhouse Committee was appointed in December to locate a site and submit a plan. In March, 1909 land on “Mathewson Bend” (corner of Mathewson Road and Chapin Road) was leased. Shares of the BYC Building Association were created to finance the Clubhouse at $10 dollars each.On August 20, 1909 the Original Clubhouse was dedicated. Abbott Gardiner was hired as Steward for $1 per day.