Join the Membership Committee for a
Cocktail Party Open House
Please invite prospective members to the Barrington
Yacht Club to enjoy a drink with members and learn
about the club
Saturday, November 15 at 6:00 pm
Kindly reply to firstname.lastname@example.org
The following describes the process for election to membership at the Barrington Yacht Club:
BYC By-laws Article III: Membership Section 1.
A candidate for membership in this Club shall make written application to the Board of Governors through the Membership Committee. The candidate shall be sponsored and seconded by Active Members in good standing and shall be personally known by at least two (2) members of the Board of Governors. Members of the Board of Governors and of the Membership Committee shall not sponsor or second candidates. An Active Member proposing a candidate for membership may not have his or her spouse second such candidate. Except for the Chairperson of the Membership Committee, members of the Membership Committee who are also members of the Board of Governors may be among the two (2) members of the Board of Governors personally known to the candidate for membership. A member shall be allowed to sponsor only one (1) candidate at a time; and to sponsor only one (1) candidate and to second only two (2) candidates in any one calendar year. A member shall not be permitted to sponsor or second candidates for membership during the first three (3) full calendar years following such member’s election to membership. Each prospective candidate shall be posted at the Club at least thirty (30) days prior to any action taken by the Board of Governors becoming effective in respect to such candidate’s application for membership.
Membership applications are available to prospective sponsors, not prospective members, through the chair of the Membership Committee.
The Policy Manual for the Membership Committee states: Barrington Yacht Club is a “Yacht Club” and candidates are to be sought that have strong boating experience or desire and that will utilize all aspects of the Club, both on land and on the water. With this guideline in mind, several members of the committee review each application. During this review, we try to get an overall “feel” for the applicant, and we also ask several questions, such as the following:
- Is the application well written and easy to read?
- Are the sponsor and seconding letters well written and supportive of the applicant?
- Based on the information provided, what type of member will the applicant be?
- Are they interested in becoming actively involved in many facets of the club’s activities?
- Have they previously been active in other organizations, suggesting that they are likely to be an active member at BYC?
- Have they already been involved, to the extent that non-members can, in BYC activities (for example, frequent guest of BYC members for boating or social events, or a frequent crew member on Tuesday nights)?
- What type and extent of boating experience does the applicant have?
- What past yacht or other private club experience does the applicant have?
- Are they a past BYC Member?
- Are they a past or current boat owner?
If you have any questions about the membership process, or are a club member who would like a membership application for a prospective member, please contact Becky Chwalk, Membership Committee Chair at email@example.com.