2017 Women Teaching Women Program
Started in 1996, BYC’s WTW program has been going strong for 20 years now! We welcome and encourage all adult women BYC members to get involved. Our goal is to have participation from as many adult women members as possible, both as students and as teachers. WTW will be as active and fun as members make it. STP staff are also utilized for lessons.
The WTW program will include plenty of hands-on practice sailing 420s, Visions, in big boats and powerboats, and will also cover a variety of important boating topics. The program consists of 6 Monday evening sessions. You can sign up for all 6 sessions or choose to participate in only one class. We encourage everyone to participate in all the sessions since many topics will be pertinent to both sailing and powerboating. These include: man overboard drills, sailboat handling skills, racing fundamentals, what to do in case of an emergency onboard, how to use the radio, jargon/language, docking and how to start the engine! We want all women to have fun and feel in control on a boat.
We’ll meet in the club at 5:30 pm and the classes will go to about 8:30 pm. There is a nominal fee for this program: $25 per session or $120 total if you sign up for all 6 sessions. To sign up for the program, there will be an online registration form accessed here.
To better facilitate planning of STP and member instructors, we need to have an accurate number of participants.
If you are a member interested in helping to instruct or bring out your powerboat or sailboat, thank you!!
Important to note:
- If you sign up, but find that you need to cancel, you must do so by emailing email@example.com by 5:00pm on the Saturday before the session.
- No-shows will be charged.
2017 WTW Program dates:
- May 31, Wednesday 6:00 pm WTW Kick-Off Cocktail Party
- June 19, Monday 5:30- 8:30 pm Sailing lecture /420 Rigging demo
- June 26, Monday 5:30- 8:30 pm 420/Vision Instruction
- July 10, Monday 5:30- 8:30 pm 420/Vision Instruction
- July 24, Monday 5:30 – 8:30 pm 420/Vision Instruction
- July 31, Monday 5:30 – 8:30 pm 420/Vision/Powerboat Instruction
- August 21, Monday 5:30 – 8:30 pm Big-boat Sailing – join your fellow WTW participants for an end of the season celebration at the Club following the Big-boat sailing.
- August 7 – 5:30 pm “Mini Ladies Cup” 420 Race – open to all women club members regardless of WTW participation, WTW participants encouraged to participate, separate fee
- August 14, Monday – 5:30 pm “Ole Ladies Cup” – annual big boat race open to all women club members, in which WTW students are encouraged to participate, separate fee
Looking forward to another great summer! Please email us with any questions, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Natalia do Couto, Natalie Leonard, Page Sciotto
WTW Program Chairs